Byzantine Victory

Byzantine Victory

maandag 5 januari 2015

SAGA Byzantines - Work in Progress

Time for the first update of this blog. It's been a while, but seeing as everyone was busy celebrating both Christmas and New Year's Eve, I thought we could all use a little break. Of blogging that is. Because over the holiday period I HAVE started to paint my first batch of Byzantines (hurray!). And of course, it's about time I shared some pretty pictures with all of you. First up are some mounted hearthguard.

Two mounted hearthguard with spears and shields

Frontal shot showing the fibula-gem and armor

Rear view with detail of the cloak with tassles

In case you're wondering; these are Old Glory miniatures, not Gripping Beast. They come from there "Dark Age Late Byzantine"-range. Luckily the size difference isn't that noticeable (25mm vs 28mm) and the details are good (although finding reference pictures is a true crime!).
I bought ca. 20 and a bunch of steppe nomads second hand, and so far they haven't disappointed me. Although some of the proportions are a bit off -hamfists for life!- the details are crisp and the sculpts characterful, perfect for a skirmish game like SAGA!

Chi Rho Shield Emblem detail (hand painted)

Chi Rho Shield detail (second variant)

The modeling side was a bit challenging, with having to drill out the grips for the cavalry spear with  too large a drill bit, but in the end -and with the help of a little green stuff- it all came together.

I've especially enjoyed painting the shield emblems and the fibula-gems. All I have to do now is Satin/Matt Varnish them and add turf, tufts and flock. That might be a while though, seeing as the humidity and temperature aren't very optimal at the moment... Still, I think you can see where I'm going!

Next installment will hopefully see me finishing the other two models, so I'll have completed my first official point.

Until next time...

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten